ODS and Modal Analysis
September 16-20, 2019
Learn how to use operating deflection shape (ODS) and modal analysis to troubleshoot and solve complex structural and rotating equipment problems. The material covered in this course goes beyond the requirements for ODS and Modal analysis subjects included in Category III - IV guidelines established by ISO 18436-2, "Condition monitoring and diagnostics of machine - Requirements for training and certification of personnel - Part 2: Vibration condition monitoring and diagnostics".
Recommended Text: Ewins, DJ, “Modal Testing – Theory, Practice, and Application”, 2nd Edition, Research Studies Press, Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, 2000
Prerequisites: Two years or more training in mechanical technology or mechanical engineering at an accredited college, university or technical school is strongly recommended. Candidates should be able to understand basic differential equations and the frequency response function, and be familiar with the operation of personal computers.
Certification Exam: 25 questions plus a practical problem, closed book but a summary sheet of formulae is provided, passing score is 75% correct.
Course Length: 40 hours
ODS and Modal Analysis Course Objectives:
- Understand the theoretical basis for ODS and Modal Analysis
- Understand excitation methods, include impact and shaker testing, coherence, transmissibility, transfer functions, mobility, compliance, and accelerance
- Choose the appropriate excitation and response measurement techniques for the application in question
- Set up and operate the data acquisition hardware and software for ODS and Modal data collection
- Calculate the linear spectra, cross spectra, coherence and transfer functions using software
- Understand the fundamentals of Modal Parameter Extraction to determine natural frequencies, shapes, and damping. This will include checks of the FRF data for validity, application of Mode Indicator Functions, as well as SDOF and MDOF curve fitting methods.
- Apply ODS and Modal Analysis to practical real-world problems